Thursday, September 25, 2014

Levi 1-9 months (how's this for a baby book?)

So I'm just going to throw out whatever I can remember about Levi, because I have 25 minutes till I have to start dinner and I should have this stuff written down somewhere.

He's been a really not good sleeper. I am a sleep training Nazi and this kid had my number.  He had his days and nights mixed up more than any baby I've ever had and I'd never been as tired as I was with him the first 2 weeks.  He got the nighttimes down pretty decently (the usual 1-2 feedings and then right back to sleep) by about 1 month old but then took 45 minute naps from 4 weeks until 3 months.  I read and discussed and kept notes and tried 3 different systems and that kid WOULD NOT sleep longer than 45 minutes during the day.  It was bad.  He still isn't a great sleeper (especially compared to other kids), and I've had to be really careful about keeping him highly scheduled to maintain any sleep system.  The last few weeks he's lengthened his in-between-nap time and that's been really helpful.

One of the reasons that he slept poorly, I figured out at about 2.5 months, was that he has reflux.  I learned that if I wasn't very careful about giving him 3 doses of Zantac a day, he would revert quickly back to 45 minute naps (poor guy was just so uncomfortable).  He took the Zantac until about 7 months and now, at 9 months, he seems to be pretty much over it.

He loves his family.  He does especially well with Jane and Faith and Ryan, but really likes all of the kids and is easily entertained and calmed by him.  They are SO GOOD to him, 95% of the time.  It's really vital to running this huge household having helpers of all ages.

Nursing hasn't gone great.  I've tried my best but I just do not produce much milk.  He took a bottle well from the beginning and we've done both breastmilk regular milk.  He's highly distracted while nursing and these days I opt to pump about half the time rather than try to keep him focused on nursing.  I constantly debate weaning but I've gone to a year with all of the others and can't quite pull the trigger on finishing with Levi early.

A timeline of Baby firsts:

4 weeks--first real smiles





2 months--first laughs, grasping objects, blowing bubbles




3.5 months--rolled over tummy to back






4 months-- first foods watermelon and baby cereal (GREAT solid eater and likes everything)

5 months--holds bottles, gets 1st and second tooth, rolls front to back, loves the exersaucer







6 months--hates our long road trips to UT and CA, starts sitting well, hair starts growing in (so
 blonde), starts scooting





7 months--plays peekaboo, "how big is Levi"?, starts crawling proficiently, pulling to stand






8 months--starting to vocalize quite a bit, gets 3 more teeth, is horrible at drinking from a cup, stranger anxiety!, crawling up the stairs

Loves: all digital devices and screens, peek a boo, being held or entertained, being outside, books, baths/showers, peaches, green smoothies, aiden and anais blankies

Hates: being on his own (though crawling has made him better at entertaining himself), holding his own bottle, getting his nose wiped or his diaper changed





He's so curious and loves to explore, is REALLY good with gross motor skills, less verbal than other kids, he smiles really easily, doesn't get sick often, isn't super snuggly but loves to hang out with all of us.  And of course, we can't imagine our life without him!





4 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

Fun timeline to read. You are so good about taking pictures to document your life.

Lauren in GA said...

I just loved this :) Perhaps because I am obsessed with your family. (still/always and forever)

I chuckled when I read, "this kid had my number." concerning sleep training. I wasn't laughing at you...because sleep deprivation is not funny, even in the slightest...but the wording so perfectly summed up how someone so little can change life in such a way that we parents are powerless against.

I really should follow your example because, like you said, you only had 25 minutes before you had to do something (dinner) but you just powered through to make sure you have this record.

I also chuckled at the Scout Book on your nightstand. I guess because my house is littered with those things ;)

Lauren in GA said...

And by the way...you are a great Mom and a great example to me.

Cynthia said...

He's is such a cute little guy! I don't know how you do it!!